[CWB] CWB Developers Meeting

Stefan Evert stefan.evert at uos.de
Mon Mar 6 23:53:28 CET 2006

Dear CWBdev subscribers,

first of all, welcome & thanks to those who joined this mailing list
because they are interested in CWB development and willing to
contribute. Plans for a first developers meeting in Forlì on the weekend
preceding the LREC conference are making progress.  We have scheduled
the meeting for Friday and Saturday, May 19-20.  For those of you who
attend LREC anyway, it shouldn't be too difficult to reach Forlì from
Genoa, so you would just have to come to Italy a few days earlier.

Confirmed participants of the meeting so far are Marco Baroni, Serge
Sharoff and myself. The "programme" will included presentations about
the CWB architecture, its problems and requirements for future
development given by myself; discussions about the future of the CWB,
what needs to be done to make it maximally useful to all of us, and who
could take over the various tasks; and as much hands-on practice with
the CWB source code, APIs and add-on stuff (e.g. the Perl interface and
basic CGI interfacing) as we can get.

It would be great if some of you could join us for that meeting.  Please
let us know if you intend to come and if the dates are feasible for you
(if you can make only one of the two days, that's fine - we'll try to
work out a suitable schedule to accommodate such constraints).  Of
course, we will circulate tutorial slides and notes made during the
discussions after the meeting, and the discussion about CWB development
will continue on the CWBdev mailing list, so there's no reason to feel
"left out" if you can't attend the meeting.  But this will be the most
efficient way for interested volunteers to catch a glimpse of the CWB
source code and get a general idea of its architecture, and it will be
the most efficient way for all of us to work out what we want from the
CWB of the future and how to achieve these goals.

Hoping to hear from you soon,
best wishes,
Stefan.