[CWB] cwb development

Stefan Evert stefan.evert at uos.de
Wed May 10 15:21:30 CEST 2006

Peter Adolphs wrote:
>> Another solution would be to set up a wiki, but I prefer to have
>> documentation that I can download and print, and in my experience that's
>> always rather tricky with current wiki implementations.
>>

> The advantage of a wiki is that it can fill up very quickly since
> editing is fairly easy and no setup is needed. There are solutions for
> PDF generation, e.g. http://aluno.no-ip.info/juca/index.php/WikiPDF, but
> I have no experience with it.

I'm not so sure about using a wiki. It's true that it's very easy to
fill up the pages and wikis tend to encourage people (like me) to write
relatively large amounts of text quickly. But for all I know it seems
fairly difficult to turn pages from a wiki into a proper book (which
begins with the lack of a decent hierarchical book-like structure in
most wikis etc.).

So I still think a jointly edited latex file under subversion control
will be better than a wiki. We could have a wiki in addition to the
latex books as a way of collecting new ideas, comments, etc.

As for any latex documentation, I will simply put it up on sf.net, so
any registered developer (with commit rights) can edit the text. Would
any of you like to set up a wiki for the CWB? Or should we postpone this
until we're sure we need one? We're archiving all e-mails that go over
CWBdev on a gmail account, as a  list archive and wiki replacement.

Best wishes,