[CWB] cwb newbie

Stefan Evert stefan.evert at uos.de
Wed Sep 27 10:46:51 CEST 2006

Dear Kai,

welcome to the CWB development team and this mailing list!  Thanks
for your interest and your offer to contribute to further
development!  I'm sure there are lots of things you can do even
without knowing much about the CWB architecture, e.g. helping to
build up a test suite, writing and clarifying manpages, fleshing out
the user/admin manuals, etc.  If you have some experience with Unix-
based software development: it would be great if someone could port
the CWB configuration and build process to GNU autoconf (at the
moment it's a big mess of Makefiles and hand-written includes).

There's a big bottleneck at the moment - myself, I'm afraid - until I
find the time to do a basic cleanup of the CWB source code and upload
it to sourceforge.  My reason for procrastinating is that it doesn't
make much sense for people to start hacking on the code while I'm
still rearranging things, but it's holding up development for too
long now.

If you're all happy with that, I'll put up a tarball of the CWB
sources on sourceforge within the next days, so you can have a look
at it and perhaps start making small contributions (such as filling
in missing manpages or adding the autoconf build process).  I suggest
that all changes go through me, though, until we've reached a
reasonably complete and clean state that we can release as version
3.0.  I'll upload this state to the sourceforge SVN then and we can
continue development there. (As a matter of fact, I'll upload as soon
as we've finished major changes to the directory structure, then you
can make smaller edits directly in the SVN.)

Best wishes to everybody & I'll get back to you soon with the source
code,
Stefan

--
Stefan Evert
Juniorprofessor of Computational Linguistics

office: AVZ, Albrechtstr. 28, room 31/436
phone: +49 541 969 2710
e-mail: stefan.evert at uos.de
web: purl.org/stefan.evert