[CWB] CSAR interface ready for download

Serge Sharoff s.sharoff at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 17:27:38 CEST 2007

Dear all,

new tools for accessing corpora via CWB are available from:
http://csar.sourceforge.net/

Initially I had grand plans of re-using the best features of the CWB
Perl Demo interface, OPUS, BNCWeb, etc, all combined in a clean OO
interface for working with concordance lines and collocation lists.

As usual time constraints reigned.  In the end I opted for a slightly
cleaned version of my original interface, have a look at:
http://corpus1.leeds.ac.uk/test/

The OPUS interface (as developed by Jörg Tiedemann and Lars Nygaard) is
much better in terms of its functionalities, but
     1. it depends heavily on MySQL databases for corpus annotation,
     2. it has not been released (so far),
     3. its pre-release version lacks documentation for programmers
     4. to my taste it requires too many mouse clicks (my preference is
        to use a simplified command line with an optional query builder)

But the real reason for releasing the current version as it is is that I
know my code and it was easier for me to prepare this release.  You're
welcome to improve it or suggest a new version that completely
supersedes this one. (Stefan Evert and me are project administrators for
CSAR, write to us if you'd like to be added to the list)

Best wishes from the Easter break,
Serge