[CWB] Beta testers needed

Stefan Evert stefan.evert at uos.de
Mon Aug 6 16:05:10 CEST 2007

Hi everyone!

The time has come at last: I've got some work for enthusiastic beta
testers.  The first release candidate of the Open CWB is available as
a source code tarball from the sourceforge project page (you'll also
find a link at http://cwb.sourceforge.net/).  Can you please download
the source code and play around with it?  I've reorganised quite a
lot of stuff, so I'd like to know if it still compiles on all
platforms, whether the build instructions are clear enough, etc.

It would be good to test as many platforms as possible before we
announce the release in public, but I'm particularly looking for
volunteers who can test the CWB on 64-bit machines (it compiles all
right on our Opteron server, but we haven't run any thorough tests
yet) with really large corpora.  I'm testing it with DEWAC and most
of UKWAC (I couldn't fit in the last two files because of size
limitations in the CWB).

If no big problems crop up, we're ready and set for a public release,
and then you can all start contributing to the source code (or the
documentation, which would be _really_ nice).  And I will have to
rewrite the CWB/Perl interface to be compatible with the new version.

Best wishes to all of you,
Stefan

PS: It is not entirely coincidental that I'm going away on a short
holiday right now and will be completely out of e-mail reach for at
least a week. :o))

[no corpus]> DEWAC;
DEWAC> [pos="ART"] ([pos="ADV|ADJD"]? [pos="ADJA"] ",|und|oder"?)*
[pos="NN"];
140400753 matches. Use 'cat' to show.

[ stefan.evert at uos.de | http://purl.org/stefan.evert ]