[CWB] [ cwb-Bugs-2540749 ] compilation failure for CWB v3.0 under linux

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 19 11:33:18 CET 2009

Bugs item #2540749, was opened at 2009-01-27 17:28
Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by schtepf
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=722303&aid=2540749&group_id=131809

not just the latest update.
Category: Compilation issues
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Hallo,
I tried to compile the subversion sources for cwb v3.0 on several linux machines and always got the following kind of error messages when trying "make clean":

In file included from storage.c:27:
endian.h:48:2: #error Sorry, ntohl() and htonl() macros are required by the CWB code, but don't seem to be defined on your machine.

My C programming skills aren't too good but I believe the problem is that ntohl() and htonl() are not defined as macros on my linux platforms and therefore the conditional in the macro on lines 46-50 in "cl/endian.h" fails. Commenting out these lines results in a clean built for me.

Thank you
--Klaus Rothenhäusler

Comment By: Stefan Evert (schtepf)
Date: 2009-08-17 20:51

Message:
Has this been resolved in the meantime?

The CWB relies on htonl() and ntohl() for endianness conversion (in the
platform-independent file format), so they need to be defined in order for
the compilation to succeed.

I vaguely remember a problem with missing compiler flags during a "make
depend" triggered by the "make clean", which should have been fixed by a
reorganisation of the makefiles.  But it would be good to check whether
this works on all Linux flavours now.