[CWB] [ cwb-Bugs-3043353 ] rpm should never install files in /usr/local

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 12 00:26:52 CEST 2010

Bugs item #3043353, was opened at 2010-08-12 00:26
Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by imsedgar
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=722303&aid=3043353&group_id=131809

not just the latest update.
Category: Compilation issues
Group: None

Initial Comment:
The file rpm-linux.spec build a rpm package that installs files in /usr/local.
But /usr/local is by convention reserved for manual installation of system administrators and should never be modified by a software package.
Sie Linux Standard Base (LSF), which uses Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS):
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRLOCALLOCALHIERARCHY

Add-on software should install in /opt:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES

Following this the rpm-linux.spec and config/site/linux-rpm should be changed to install in /opt/ims-ocwb/ or something similar.
The package can make symbolic links in /usr/bin for the user callable programms.

If I will have time I will provide patches some day.