[CWB] [ cwb-Bugs-3043353 ] rpm should never install files in /usr/local

Yannick Versley yversley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 11:13:16 CEST 2010

> I am not convinced of the need for this change; firstly because it's not
> clear that CWB is more appropriately labelled "add-on software" than
> "manual installation of system administrators" (clearly it is manually
> installed and clearly it's sysadmins who do it!); secondly because a quick
> look around the webs suggests that, in any case, the distinction between
> /opt and /usr/local is not so clear cut.

To add my $.02 to this discussion: it's common that sites have /usr/local
as a network share that only site admins can write to
(two places where I've been had a central NFS mount on /usr/local and
one had an AFS share there), so if I were to install CWB from .rpm/.deb,
so it may be more friendly towards some users to have it install in /usr or
/opt.
(I install from sources, where it goes, and *should* go, into /usr/local).

Best,
Yannick