[CWB] Problem with indexing corpora

Benoit Crabbé bcrabbe at linguist.jussieu.fr
Fri Jan 29 16:02:02 CET 2010

Hi all,

I am a casual user of CQP, and it turns out I have the following problem with corpus indexing

The indexing process works fine :

1)
cwb-encode -d . -f EP.ims -R ~/corpora/registry/ep -P lemma -P pos -S text -S corpus -S s

2)
cwb-makeall -r ~/corpora/registry EP

3)
cqp -r ~/corpora/registry

I can access the indexed corpora under its name within cqp and perform common queries.
so far so good.

however, as soon as I use another terminal or relaunch another session on my computer, it happens that :

4) cqp -r ~/corpora/registry

fails to provide acces to the encoded corpus while trying to access it with:

CORPUS_NAME ;

I get the following message :

Warning:
	Data access error (CL: No error)
Perhaps the corpus EP is not accessible from the machine you are using.
CQP Error:
	Corpus ``EP'' is undefined
[no corpus]>

indeed the show corpora command, does not show the previously indexed corpus anymore;
the registry directory on my filesystem however still contains an entry for this corpora.

This problem is recurrent and I can reproduce it on other machines.
Can anyone point me my mistake in the installation process ?

I use the latest publicly available release of cwb and I run macosx (snow leopard)

many thanks,
Benoit