[CWB] Highlighting in alignment

Stefan Evert stefanML at COLLOCATIONS.DE
Sat Jul 17 02:40:49 CEST 2010

> I'm using the EUROPARL Web interface installed here:
> http://bramaputra.ling.uni-potsdam.de/~jaehnig/CQP/Europarl/frames-cqp.html
>
> It allows me to do a search like this:
>
> "Diskussion" : EXAMPLE-NL "discussie"
>
> Now, is there a way to highlight "discussie" in the results - as
> "Diskussion" is highlighted?

Unfortunately, the answer is no.

The implementation of alignment queries in CQP is rather half-hearted, so there is no way to identify and highlight the matching token in the target language (which would arguably be difficult for negative alignment constraints :).

In principle it would be possible (though quite expensive) to simulate this in the Web GUI -- execute the query, identify the aligned regions in the target corpus, and then run the aligned part of the query on these aligned regions -- but this functionality isn't offered by the current version of the Europarl Web interface and would require quite some work to implement.

Sorry for the negative answer -- aligned queries are an issue that's been bugging me for many years, but I haven't found a good solution yet.

Best wishes,