[CWB] IMS error - maximum file size exceeded

Scott Sadowsky ssadowsky at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 03:48:02 CET 2010

I'm trying to encode a large corpus with IMS and after a while I get an
error saying that the maximum file size has been exceeded and the file
can't be written.

I'm using CWB 3.0 x64 on Ubuntu 10.10 x64.

The corpus contains about 800m tokens, and each of these has an entry
for word, syntactic relationship, lemma and POS.

The file system is NTFS, which should be able to handle files up to
about 16 TB, if I'm not mistaken, but the size of the largest files that
CWB generates before the error occurs is 2 GB.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Thanks,
Scott