R: Re: [CWB] A question on CQP attribute sets

luigi.talamo at libero.it luigi.talamo at libero.it
Fri Jul 13 16:01:46 CEST 2012

Hi there!

 >Therefore, I feel one must go for a rather complex annotation, which can
then be queried by using a regular expression. The machinery is

 >FORM ANNOTATION
 >dam  1:SG:PF-dat::GEN:PL-dama-

 >and then you can query for, say, Genitive by searching for

 >[annot=".*:GEN:.*"]

 >for dama 'lady'

I have been developing a similar annotation for Italian derivational
morphology, but with different positional attributes for the annotation. I
provided seven 'pa's', one for the lexical base and the other six for the
derivational processes (wfp). For instance, the English word 'joyfulness' will
be annotated as follows:

FORM BASE 1wfp 2wfp
joyfulness joy:word ful:features ness:features

where each slot has its own features, for instance 'stem allomorphy'  for the
base:

joy:word

or 'affix allomorphy' for the wfp1.For instance, in the Italian word
'volgare',  the suffix -ale is instantiated by the allomorph -are:

ale:are

It is easy to query cqp for all words containing the base 'joy':

[base="joy:.*"]

or for affix combinations:

[wfp1="ful.*" & wfp2="ness.*"]

I then suggest to change 'positional attributes' to something else... :-)

greetz

Luigi