[CWB] [ cwb-Feature Requests-3543539 ] Documentation of binary file format

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 13 17:36:26 CEST 2012

Feature Requests item #3543539, was opened at 2012-07-13 07:10
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by andrewhardie
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=722306&aid=3543539&group_id=131809

not just the latest update.
Category: CWB engine
Group: TODO-3.5

Initial Comment:
Documentation to supplement the primary source, which is

Witten, Ian H.; Moffat, Alistair; Bell, Timothy C. (1999). Managing Gigabytes. Morgan Kaufmann Publishing, San Francisco, 2nd edition

Date: 2012-07-13 08:36

Message:
Further suggestions of sources to integrate / emulate (thanks to Serge
Heiden for these):

For the various index files of CQP, to start I would recommend:
> IMS Corpus Workbench "CQP Corpus Administrator's Manual", Oliver Christ,
Universität Stuttgart, Institut für maschinelle Sprache, 1994 (p. 14 for
a partial overview of index architecture) A copy of which is here:
> http://txm.sourceforge.net/doc/cwb/technical-manual.pdf

====

Something nice would be to do documents
like the ones Stefan Evert has done for the NXT Search engine :
http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/projekte/nite

A) a CQP object model justifying a detailed description of index files
architecture (like the "CQP Corpus Administrator's Manual" schema p. 14 but
with real file names to begin with) Like this document:
Formal specification of the NITE Object Model, the abstract data model used
by the NITE XML Toolkit.
-> http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/NITE/documents/NiteObjectModel.v2.1.pdf

B) a CQL formal specification
Like this document:
Formal specification of NiteQL, the query language that operates over data
conforming to the NITE Object Model.
-> http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/NITE/documents/NiteQL.v2.1.pdf
I once started a list of all the CQL syntax features I know of in a
Googledoc, but it hasn't evolved to something readable:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rz39LixYl6uegx35kIj6JLYbMPEOsy2ycg4JuCBZ68Y/edit?hl=fr&pli=1