[CWB] Strange problem with a query

Josep M. Fontana josepm.fontana at upf.edu
Tue Jul 24 14:30:48 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan,
>> When I enter the query I get the following error:
>>
>> "Warning:
>>     ``Keep Ranges'' only allowed when
>> querying subcorpora (ignored)
> That's because you added an exclamation mark "!", which executes a subquery as a filter in CQP syntax (internally referred to as the "keep ranges" flag).
>
>>> [pos="VV.*"][pos="DT."]? [pos="AV0"]? [pos="AJ.*"]* [pos="N.*"] [pos="AJ.*"][(pos="N.*")|(pos="PR.*")|(pos="TO0")]! within s;
> Why did you put the exclamation mark if you're not running a subquery?

OK, I thought '!' was the boolean operator for NOT. The reason I
constructed the search like this is that I wanted to filter out results
where the adjective was followed by either a noun, a preposition or the
infinitive marker 'to'. Having a boolean operator '|' with these three
categories and then the '!' outside the brackets seemed to be the most
logical way to accomplish that. In principle this should give you NOT
(adjective or preposition or infinitive marker), shouldn't it? I must
sound stupid but I cannot think of any other way to do this except for
having a negative operator with scope over a choice between these three
categories.