[CWB] CQPweb 3.0.7 on CWB 3.4.3 cwb-scan-corpus error! Segmentation fault

Hardie, Andrew a.hardie at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun May 27 16:58:40 CEST 2012

>>> frequency list reads like gibberish to me

That’s not gibberish, it’s UTF-8 being treated as if it was Latin-1. For instance, “惯” is “惯”. I  think this problem is very likely at the browser end. Check this by looking at how your browser is treating the pages. My guess is that it is set to “Western (ISO 8859-1)”. If you change the encoding to “UTF-8”, you should see the Chinese characters.

CQPweb does issue an HTTP header declaring the encoding of each page as UTF-8. However, I don’t know the details of how different browsers respond to that header; it’s possible your browser is set up to enforce some other encoding.

>>> I also want to know how sorting is done for languages other than English. For Chinese, there are usually two types of sorting: PINYIN(bopomofa) and character strokes. Is it possible to do that kind of thing in CQPweb? If not present in CQPweb yet, is there an interface (even just envisaged)to do so?

The sort order used is the MySQL utf8_general_ci collation – which is far from satisfactory, but which is generally the best of a bad bunch for most purposes. I have plans for a replacement, but they are too big for this margin. I don’t know how utf8_general_ci works for Chinese I’m afraid, and a google does not turn up anything. I suspect it might be binary ordering.