[CWB] Multi-word units

Josep M. Fontana josepm.fontana at upf.edu
Tue Feb 19 12:45:28 CET 2013

Sorry. I should have considered this possibility. I apologize. I don't
mean to rush you guys. Just some confirmation that this is a legitimate
concern and that you think giving some thought to this question is worth
it and we are satisfied. Just knowing that this or a similar solution
might be possible to implement in the future would already be useful for
us since it would justify making some particular choices right now.

One of the avenues we are considering if the solution we suggest were at
all possible is to pre-process our tokenized texts so that all the
possible multiword expressions would be added to the dictionary for our
tager with the appropriate labels; something like:

Saint_Anselm, Sir_Lancelot_of_the_lake, in_order_to, etc.

This would at least allow the tagger to learn about the existing
multi-word units and their distribution and tag the texts with what is
for us the most important information. We want to parse the resulting
corpus. So making the encoding of the specific syntactic information
about relationships between different expressions as simple and
intuitive as possible is our main concern at this point. Later, if the
solution we suggest or a different one that achieved the same goals were
available, we would reprocess the texts of the corpus to include the
information about the different components of the multi-word expressions
by eliminating the '_' and adding the new labels for the individual
words via some encoding scheme possibly involving XML.

JM