[CWB] error "cqp: concordance.c:409

Stefan Evert stefanML at collocations.de
Thu Feb 28 13:45:18 CET 2013

> Stefan - any ideas on this ? It would seem to be something in compose_kwic_line() setting the position_list pointer to NULL - but so far as I can see that var is not written to by that function.

Not really ... somehow this error message rings a bell, though, so I seem to have encountered it before.  Here's what my old notes have to say on the offending parameter (pardon my German):

> * die Parameter position_list, nr_positions, returned_positions in compose_kwic_line()<concordance.c>
> [und intern in remember_this_position()] werden bisher nicht verwendet und koennen wahrscheinlich
> entfernt werden, was die Formatiererei schon deutlich uebersichtlicher gestaltet.
> Unklar, was Oli damit wollte -- offenbar sollten dadurch die Positionen, an denen diverse Anker
> (oder beliebige Korpuspositionen) in der kwic-Zeile erscheinen, zurueckgeliefert werden (fuer nachtraegliche
> Formatierungen?). Scheint ein ziemlich bescheuertes Konzept zu sein -- besser multiple Targets und
> XML-Ausgabe.

So it seems to be completely unused.  No reason why it should crash in a particular situation, though.

However, I have fixed a couple of buglets in the kwic code since 3.0.0, especially the dreaded buffer overflow crashes.   Any chance that your output may have very long lines that overflow the formatting buffer and happen to mess up other variables?

Can you install the latest version from the 3.0 branch, by compiling the source code available through SVN?

	svn checkout http://svn.code.sf.net/p/cwb/code/cwb/branches/3.0 cwb-3.0

If the error persists with the latest version, we'll need to investigate further.

Best