[CWB] cqpWEB limitations

Josep M. Fontana josepm.fontana at upf.edu
Thu Jul 10 15:54:35 CEST 2014

Hi,

We are trying to get as many of our users as possible to use the CQPweb
interface because the learning curve us substantially less steep.

There are some students, however, that need to do some rather complex
searches that are not possible with the Simple Query Language Syntax.
Instead of creating an account for them in our server and giving them
SSH access to an account, we prefer to encourage them to use the CQP
syntax on the cqpWEB interface.

This seems to work well enough in many cases but every now and then they
encounter some problems which we don't know how to deal with. The
problem is that the only documentation about cqpWEB we have is the
manual for the simple query language syntax and Andrew's article
("CQPweb -- combining power, flexibility..."). Is there any new, more
extense documentation?

For instance, some students are having problems extracting frequencies
from searches that use the CQP syntax. Recently another student has
reported that she gets the following error message when she tries a
search which I can do without any problem via terminal.

--- error msg ---
A script was passed a badly-formed parameter set!

The content of the query was not specified!

... in file /srv/web/llocs/cqp/lib/concordance.inc.php line 137.

---- end error msg ---

Of course, it is possible that these are problems that have to do with
our installation but I would like to know whether there is any
documentation where we can find information about the limitations or
problems that the web interface has with respect to regular CQP.

Thanks in advance.

Josep M.