[CWB] [CQPWeb] diacritics in CQPweb

Ciarán Ó Duibhín ciaran at oduibhin.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 18:59:44 CET 2014

Apologies if this is not relevant, but I thought that unicode sorting
recognized four "levels" in comparing two strings:
1. account is taken of differences in accents, case and specials
2. account is taken of differences in accents and case, but differences in
specials are disregarded
3. account is taken of differences in accents, but differences in case and
specials are disregarded
4. differences in accents, case and specials are disregarded

In these terms, what Michel wants is collation at level 3, but is getting
collation at level 4.

If the CWB developers have access to a "standard" collation procedure, it
should take care of this requirement automatically, with the additional
benefit that efficiency considerations can be left to the implementors of
the standard procedure!

(Specials are non-alphabetic characters, including punctuation, which may be
present in the strings.)

For more info, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_14651 or
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/

I hope this is helpful,