[CWB] What's possible via the CQPweb interface

Josep M. Fontana josepm.fontana at upf.edu
Sun Apr 26 12:19:28 CEST 2015

Thanks Andrew. This clarifies things quite a bit. I had totally
forgotten about the security considerations. I think this came up a
while ago when somebody (perhaps myself) asked about some other
functionality of CQPWeb. At any rate, I will check the available videos
to become a bit more familiar with the additional functionalities of
CQPWeb. Also, I checked in our library and it turns out we have quite a
few copies of the book so I will be able to obtain all the information I
need.

I have a little doubt about one of the things you said, though. You
should obviously know better than me but I haven't been able to do what
I said I had tried to do via the frequency breakdown tool. What I get
with the frequency breakdown tool is the frequencies of instantiations
of the whole search string. So if the search string is 'lemma X POS Y',
the frequency breakdown yields the frequency of different instantiations
of this whole string as specific combinations of tokens (frequency
breakdown of words only) or the frequency of the specific combination of
tags (frequency breakdown of annotation only) or the frequency for
specific combinations of both.

What I was trying to obtain was the frequency of lemmas that are
instantiations of 'POS Y' in a search string of the form 'lemma X POS
Y'. In the command line I would have used:

$ count Last by lemma %cd on matchend;

This, as far as I can tell and without having read the relevant sections
in the book (I have not checked it out from the library yet), appears
not to be possible via the CQPWeb interface. I have a couple of grad
students who needed to work with one of our corpora and I thought that
for the kinds of things they needed to do at this point the CQPWeb would
more than suffice. This kind of information about frequencies, however,
is useful for them so I guess I will have to convince them that the
command line will not eat them alive when they are distracted and that
it didn't harm any of the other students that used it before them.

Thanks again guys for the tool and for the help.

JM