[CWB] parallel German and English corpus encoding

Hardie, Andrew a.hardie at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Apr 8 11:08:47 CEST 2016

Hi Anne-Kathrin.

Re 1. To port existing alignments, you have two options:

First, via “beads”. A. make sure that when you create your corpus, you have appropriate identifying s-attributes on your sentences. B. Second, create a “bead file” which contains the alignment data. The format of this file is described in man cwb-align-import . Depending on what format your alignment data is in you might need to do some scripting to massage the data into the right format. Once you have this file, use cwb-align-import to create the a-attribute.

Second, via a file containing the alignment, a “.align” file as created by cwb-align, and whose format is described in man cwb-align. The difference between this and the previous is that in a beadfile aligned regions are indicated by identifying values from an s-attribute, whereas in this option, actual corpus position numbers must be used. Depending on the form your alignment data is in, this may be easier. A “.align” is inserted into the index using cwb-align-encode.

(note: since you’re on windows, you will find the man files as PDFs within a folder in the CWB installation location)

The CWB tutorial chapter on alignment is currently half written and thus absent from the version on the website. I attach a build of the PDF I’ve just made, which contains further info on all the above.

Re 2. See  http://cwb.sourceforge.net/faq.php?hoist=windows_terminal#windows_terminal