[CWB] How to use text categories?

Hardie, Andrew a.hardie at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Oct 21 23:28:33 CEST 2016

Hi Stefan,

Briefly,

- this page will give you a form for each text-metadata field that was installed with the datatype "classification"
- each of these forms will list all the category handles that exist within the given classification
- by default, category handles are mapped to a "description" that is the same as the category handle itself
- BUT you can use the forms here to change the category descriptions to something more user-friendly
- since category handles are limited to short codes with no spacing or punctuation this is often useful
- if you do this, then the "descriptions" will show up in a whole lot of different places in the user interface instead of the category handles, including:
-- restricted query form
-- concordance header for a restricted query
-- distribution display
-- text metadata page.

Hope this helps!