[CWB] encoding BNC-BABY

John Hale jthale at uga.edu
Fri Jan 11 17:33:05 CET 2019

CWB Gurus —  I am about to teach a course module on corpus searching…naturally using the CWB. Since the server hardware is shared, I am thinking it is better to use BNC-BABY rather the the full BNC so that queries finish quickly.  I successfully encoded the full BNC using Stefan Evert’s excellent script. But when I try to apply the same script to the BABY I get this error in red:

perl EncodeBNC.perl -f --name="BNC-BABY" /data/corpora/cwb/bncbaby  ../fromota
IMS Open Corpus Workbench:
Encoder for the British National Corpus (XML edition), version 0.9.2.

Converting source files to CWB format ...
BNC::Meta: Unknown catRef code 'alltim3' -- program aborted

In this command, “fromota” comes fresh from http://ota.ox.ac.uk/desc/2553
and contains
the file bncHdr.xml
and
the directory Texts
with subdirectories aca dem fic news… et cetera

Is EncodeBNC actually meant to work with BABY? Or is there another way to get it in encoded?

grateful for any tips,
-john