[CWB] Structural attributes in CQP with values

Diana Santos dianamsmpsantos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 14:15:46 CEST 2026


Sorry for this, but I have continued to read the manual, and saw that the
solution would be
cwb-encode ... -S mwe:0+lema+pos+sema+grupo
This works like a charm, and was exactly what I was looking for.

Best
Diana

Diana Santos <dianamsmpsantos at gmail.com> escreveu (sábado, 5/09/2026 à(s)
14:00):

> Dear Timm,
> Thank you for this.
> As far as I understood from your advice and from the manual, I should,
> instead of doing
> cwb-encode ... -V mwe
> do instead
> cwb-encode ... -S mwe -V mwe_lema
> and replace in the verticalized file
> <mwe lema="whatever">
> by
> <mwe>
> <mwe_lema whatever>
> Is this what you mean?
> This works, but I was wondering whether there was any command or trick
> that from
> <mwe lema="whatever" ...> (with several key value pairs)
> would make cwb-encode at once <mwe_lema ..> etc, without explicitly
> encoding it in the source file.
> In case there isn't, I will write a Perl script to do it.
> Thanks again
> Diana
>
> Timm Weber <timm.weber at fau.de> escreveu (sexta, 4/09/2026 à(s) 21:05):
>
>> Hi Diane,
>>
>> you probably want to encode separate structural attributes for the
>> attributes using -S. The s-attribute mwe will then only encode the bare
>> span, while mwe_lema will encode the span and the attribute value for lema,
>> etc. Refer to the corpus encoding manual (
>> https://cwb.sourceforge.io/files/CWB_Encoding_Tutorial.pdf) section 5
>> for how to deal with XML attributes.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Timm
>>
>>
>> Am 04.09.2026 19:40 schrieb Diana Santos via CWB <cwb at sslmit.unibo.it>:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have been studying the use of XML attributes in CWB
>> https://cwb.sourceforge.io/files/CQP_Manual/4_3.html
>> and testing it (in the CQPDemo DICKENS corpus,
>> https://corpora.linguistik.uni-erlangen.de/demos/CQP/CQPDemo/frames-simple.html
>> )
>> but do not seem to be able to replicate this behaviour in my own corpora.
>>
>> In particular, instead of <np> etc I have just <mwe>, but with some
>> values, such as .
>> <mwe lema="jogo=de=palavras" pos="N">
>> <mwe lema="cana=do=nariz"  pos="N" grupo="Cabeça" sema="corpo">
>>
>> But although I have tried to encode the corpora with -V mwe.lema, I still
>> cannot get it, that is, I cannot do "simple" things like
>> <np> a:[] []* </np> :: a.np_h = "bank";
>>
>> that is
>> <mwe> a:[] [*] </mwe> :: a.mwe_lema = "cor"
>>
>> I suppose there is something in the encoding that I am doing wrongly?
>> I can of course do
>>
>> <mwe> [] []* </mwe>
>>
>> but I cannot access the values of the key-values pairs. Can anyone help
>> me with this?
>> Thanks a lot in advance
>> Diana
>>
>>
>>
>>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://liste.sslmit.unibo.it/pipermail/cwb/attachments/20260905/1c771d4d/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the CWB mailing list