[Sigwac] CLEANEVAL annotation guidelines: feedback request

Marco Baroni baroni at sslmit.unibo.it
Wed Oct 11 11:35:47 CEST 2006

Dear All,

As many of you know, SIGWAC is preparing a competitive task on automated
webpage cleaning named CLEANEVAL (http://cleaneval.sigwac.org.uk/). The
first CLEANEVAL challenge will take place in mid-August 2007.

Currently, we are planning English and Chinese tracks. However, if anybody
is able to provide test sets for other languages, please do get in touch
with us.

As part of the preparation, we need to develop guidelines for the
annotators who will create the manually cleaned sets of pages to be used as
test sets in the competition. This is a delicate task, as we have to strike
a good balance between our own (not always perfectly overlapping) ideas of
how a clean page should look like and the formulation of guidelines that
the average undergrad annotator will be able to follow.

After some collaborative experimentation, we came up with the preliminary
version of the guidelines attached to this mail.

We would greatly appreciate your feedback on this proposal.

Regards,

Marco Baroni, Serge Sharoff, Tony Hartley and Adam Kilgarriff