[Sigwac] Re: Sigwac Digest, Vol 18, Issue 1

Bill Fletcher fletcher at kwicfinder.com
Wed Sep 10 17:15:56 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Footnote to the trivia and a burning question.

Following up on Niels' observation I checked Google without "the" and
tried out Live Search and Yahoo.  Counts are 96, 18,900 and 737
respectively.  Either LS has a very long memory or a very redundant index.

In this context does "hickey" mean "Pickel" or "Knutschfleck"?  (I know
it in both meanings in American English.)

Questions about the G1T data like the low counts for "won't" discussed
last week on the Corpora list may cast on the reliability of the
frequency data, but I have found it useful as one source of examples
words formed with "neomorphemes".  Since it consists of aggregated but
unnormalized data, it also gives an indication of the range of hybrid
encodings (e.g. Mac or other encodings masquerading as ISO 8859-1),
which has helped me salvage a lot of data I trawled together.

Regards,
Bill