[Sigwac] Call for discussion: The SIGWAC crisis (instead, of an announcement of WAC-XI)

Adrien Barbaresi adrien.barbaresi at oeaw.ac.at
Tue Aug 1 11:54:26 CEST 2017

Dear fellow web corpus linguists,

I would like to chime in on two major points: if we are to exist as a
community, we need visibility at conferences and in terms of accessible
resources.

Of course a symposium focused on WAC would be ideal, but it is worth
asking on this list how many of us could come and decide accordingly.
Since the number of scientific events is increasing rapidly, the
concurrence might just be too numerous or the financing too scarce for
enough people to come. For that reason, co-location with a major event
may still be a feasible solution.

If I understand correctly, the CLARIN or YaCy initiatives share a common
ground, that is resource pooling. We could confer on how to make part of
our corpora available under a "meta" multilingual search engine. A
research consortium such as CLARIN can help at the institutional level,
and distributed search engines like YaCy are a practical solution for
low-resource cooperation.
If finances are the issue at stake, consortia like CLARIN can help with
that in the form of sub-grants for community building or travel
expenses. Maybe it is what Darja could tell us more about.

All the best,
Adrien
http://adrien.barbaresi.eu

Am 01.08.2017 um 10:39 schrieb Roland Schäfer:
> Hello Miloš and everyone,
>
> thanks for keeping the discussion alive.
>
> As far as I can see, five people have contributed to the discussion so
> far. What about the other 179 registered list members (which, by the
> traditional definition, are the members of SIGWAC)?
>
> On 01.08.17 10:09, Miloš Jakubíček wrote:
>>
>>> Still this leaves the question of co-location of the next WAC events open.
>>> don't have an answer here. Yes, I don't think many people like overpriced
>>> ACL/LREC events. However, many (in the CL community) commit themselves to
>>> going
>>> there. As mentioned, the previous events co-located with those conferences