[CWB] multiple commands with WebCqp::Query

Stefan Evert stefan.evert at uos.de
Fri Aug 18 15:42:34 CEST 2006

On 18 Aug 2006, at 14:08, Lars Nygaard wrote:

> Hm. I'm already using WebCqp for a quite advanced CGI interface,
> and it seems to me that I would end up redoing quite a bit of
> WebCqp if I were to completely replace it with CQP.

Ok, I was perhaps a bit too harsh to call it "absolutely deprecated".
I plan to continue support for WebCqp::Query - if I ever find the
time again to work on the CWB/Perl modules - though it will always be
much less flexible than direct access through CQP and CL.

> Wouldn't it be better to improve on WebCqp? Or is it flawed in some
> fundamental way?

Mostly in the sense that it tries to make things easy for users who
don't know much about the internals of the CWB and don't want to be
hassled by technicalities.  As a result, it extracts and combines
quite a lot of information from various sources, which is then
wrapped in Perl objects and passed back to the user.  It is more
efficient and flexible to use the CQP module directly.

Actually, I just had a look at the module and it's not quite as bad
as I thought it was, so it will probably be useful for interfaces
that don't require advanced functionality.  The really ugly and slow
code is in WebCqp::Search - don't use this module.

A major limitation of the current WebCqp::Query is that it doesn't
support query result caching with WebCqp::Persistent yet, but that's
one of the things on the ToDo list ...