[CWB] Still a problem with CWB installation on linux 64-bit Ubuntu

Peter Adolphs futzilogik at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 5 22:00:00 CET 2008

Stefan Evert wrote:
> I suppose the problem is that you haven't installed a C++ compiler, or
> perhaps the C++ header files and standard library are missing.  The CWB
> should _not_ require C++ at all, but the configure script seems to think
> that if you have gcc, it should also work as a C++ compiler (which it
> normally does, so I guess Ubuntu is a really weird distribution that is
> lacking most essential files).

Stefan, stop bashing Ubuntu! It is just perfect!! :-)

Whoever wrote that configure.in file included a check for the C++
compiler, although it doesn't seem to be used at all. Just remove the
AC_PROG_CXX line in configure.in and run autoconf if you want to get rid
of it.

> For the moment, please try to install the necessary packages for C++
> development.

That is, do at least the following:
sudo apt-get install gcc g++ make automake autoconf

Whenever configure or make still complains about problems, this might be
due to missing developer files (header files). Ubuntu's default
installation doesn't come with all the developer files (as far as I
know, no GNU/Linux distribution does this), You have to install the
relevant packages yourself if you want to do development-specific stuff.
In Ubuntu, they are included in those packages that end with "-dev". For
example, the development files for the readline library are to be found
in libreadline5-dev. But keep in mind that these package names are
distribution specific.

Cheers!

Peter