[CWB] Install CWB in Mac OS X

Stefan Evert stefan.evert at uos.de
Wed Nov 11 18:27:24 CET 2009

Hi José!

> This is José Manuel Martínez Martínez. I am PhD student at
> Universitat Jaume I, Castellón, Spain. My field is Translation
> Studies. I carry on research in the ECPC Research group. Currently,
> I'm trying different concordancers (with parallel concordancing
> features) and CWB is an unavoidable item in my list.

Good to hear that (CWB being an unavoidable item)! :o)

> I would like to know if it is possible to install CWB in a Mac
> environment. I might install it in Ubuntu, but I would like to give
> it a try in Mac (if it is possible, of course).

Mac should be easy -- it's the main development platform nowadays.

> Is there any installing directions for Mac? Can I use alternatively
> the instructions for Linux/Ubuntu?

Sorry, no specific Mac instructions yet.  But it's much easier than
Ubuntu:

	1. Install XCode (you might have to sign up for a free ADC member
ship with Apple in order to download it), which has the C compiler and
all the other tools needed to build the CWB.
	2. Edit config.mk (in the CWB source code tree) to build for an
appropriate darwin architecture.
	3. make all; make install

If you'd like to try it, I'll send you a binary distribution of the
very latest version off list.

Best regards,
Stefan Evert

[ stefan.evert at uos.de | http://purl.org/stefan.evert ]