[CWB] CQPweb

Stefan Evert stefanML at collocations.de
Tue Feb 2 00:34:48 CET 2010

Hi Jörg!

> Thank you very much for the link (and the guest account). It looks
> nice (what I can say after a couple of simple queries)

Sure is! :o)  I've been running it on my laptop for several weeks now
and I'm very happy with the system.

> One question: What happened to the CQP query language. There is not
> going to be support in CQPweb for this? Is there a reason for moving
> to the "simple query language" instead?

Andrew already answered this -- to seasoned BNCweb users it's obvious
that you can change the query language with the little button below
the entry field ...

I'd like to add that CQPweb's simple query language is also intended
as a standard for CWB Web interfaces. It's called CEQL, and the
implementation is part of the new Perl modules.

> By the way, the old WebCqp module is not goint to be included in any
> future releases of the Perl CWB support, is it? I just wanted to
> have minimal effort of adjusting my existing interfaces when moving
> to the latest CWB distribution. Can I still use the old WebCqp with
> the latest versions of CWB and its Perl modules?

The new Perl modules have been split into separate packages that can
be installed independently with different dependencies (e.g. you need
a C compiler for CWB::CL, but you the CWB base package including
CWB::CQP is fully platform-independent and has very few prerequisites).

I'm planning to release (part of) the WebCqp code as a separate
package (because it depends on some other modules that are not
essential for the basic CWB/Perl interface), but it'll be some time
before I get round to updating it.  You should be able to use the old
WebCqp modules with a few small modifications, though (I'm doing this
with my own installations of the CQP demo).

Concerning your original question:

> By the way: is the source available for the CQP demo for Europarl from
> http://www.cogsci.uni-osnabrueck.de/~korpora/ws/CQPdemo/Europarl/frames-cqp.html

No, it's not publically available.  Like all Web interfaces at this
address, it's a hacked version of the CQP demo scripts tailored to a
specific corpus, and does not offer any straightforward configuration
options.

> I modified the common monolingual interface myself a lomg time ago
> for some of my parallel corpora and it looked more or less similar
> to the one above. (http://www.let.rug.nl/~tiedeman/OPUS/cwb/Europarl/frames-cqp.html
> )
> But the one at Osnabruck looks a bit cleaner than what I had. Would
> it be easy to adapt it to other parallel corpora with slightly
> different annotated features?

It should be relatively straightforward to do that, just as with the
original CQP demo that you adapted for OPUS (but not any easier).
I've already removed some of the extra frills from the first CQP demo
in the Europarl version, so the code is actually a little bit cleaner.

If you want, I can send you a ZIP archive with the code, but without
documentation (and you'll have to piece the paths together yourself,
which are all set to what I need for my own installation).  Same offer
holds for everyone else, of course.

Best wishes,