[CWB] CWB for cygwin

Hardie, Andrew a.hardie at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jun 23 21:09:14 CEST 2010

Just a quick follow-up on Diana's request.

Concerning the set of binary releases that are available. For Windows we
will *always* put up binary files, because they (for the foreseeable
future) need to be cross-compiled from *nix, which is a massive pain to
set up.

But for the other OSes, it's usually only at major numbers that releases
will be posted on SF.net (except for the Windows release, CWB v3.2.b0,
the first unicode-supporting version, is only available as source), and
even then they may not cover every OS. EG for 3.0 there are Solaris,
Linux and OS X release files.

We've also been trying to streamline "the hard way", i.e. installing
from source. There are now auto-install scripts for Ubuntu, Fedora, and
OS X, which get the process of installing prerequisites, configuring,
building and installing down to about two shell commands.

But... if lots and lots of people are using Cygwin, it would obviously
be worthwhile taking the time to set up a Cygwin build environment so we
can create a Cygwin release binary and / or write a
quick-build-and-install script for Cygwin.

So everyone - feel free to let us know what the OS demand is. (Or,
indeed, to contribute new release binaries or quick-build scripts if you
feel like it...)