[CWB] Non-Latin1 characters in Windows

Hardie, Andrew a.hardie at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 04:21:13 CET 2011

To the world in general...

George emailed me off-list to inform me that his problem goes away if
the font used by cmd.exe is changed to Lucida Console, rather than the
default which is Fixedsys; this option is available under "Properties"
if you right-click on the cmd.exe title bar.

So the problem wasn't that the characters *couldn't be entered*, rather
it was that, once entered, they couldn't display properly in Fixedsys
(unsurprisingly since it is a very old font).

Other possible approaches to problems arising from cmd.exe include:

- run CQP from Windows Power Shell instead (haven't tried this myself
but it might help)
- save your commands inc untypable/unprintable characters into a text
file and then run CQP in batch mode with -f
- pipe your commands to CQP from another program, while running it in
child mode with -c

Andrew.