[CWB] Direction of development of CQPweb

Yannick Versley yversley at gmail.com
Sun May 15 23:04:07 CEST 2011

Dear Andrew,

despite being a not-yet-user of CQP, your plans rang a bell somewhere.
(a) it may be a good idea to introduce templating (e.g. Smarty for PHP) to
allow more
     substantial modifications to the interface. I have seen a number of web
sites
     that embed CQP (and, I think, CQPweb) within their own designed site to
allow
     access to their corpora, and separating design from functionality would
make it
     easier for them to use the latest version while still keeping the old
UI
(b) Considering that CQPweb already uses a MySQL database, I'd consider
session
     cookies to be an easier alternative than .htaccess/htpasswd files.
     (At least for me, popup blocking eliminated the need to turn Javascript
off on
     unknown sites; and sometime in the last 10 years I've grown indifferent
towards
     cookies too. I suspect that other people are similar in that regard).
(c) I've been developing a moderately complex web application (an annotation
tool,
     also using Chrome) and met different (usually small) things that
behaved or
     looked different in Firefox or IE. Using a library such as JQuery (or
Dojo, or ...) solves many of
     the cross-browser compatibility problems, but not all of them (i.e.,
especially not
     those that depend on your own CSS or low-level Javascript code).

Best,
Yannick