[CWB] Character encoding problems when transferring corpus

Stefan Evert stefanML at collocations.de
Wed Aug 15 09:41:04 CEST 2012

> OK, I followed Stefan's directions and I have been able to move a step closer. I still have not managed to run cwb-install-mac-osx because I keep on getting an error message saying that I need the external Glib2 library. It also tells me that external libraries seem to be provided by MacPorts.

That's only because it detects your MacPorts installation.  The install script checks both for MacPorts and for HomeBrew / manual installs in /usr/local

> When I try to install Glib2 via MacPorts, I get stuck in:
>
> --->  Attempting to fetch expat-2.0.1.tar.gz from http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/expat

Sounds like your Internet connection doesn't work properly, or perhaps your MacPorts is out of date.  Did you remember to update the ports definitions ("port selfupgrade" IIRC)?

> Does anybody know any way to install Glib2 without having to resort to MacPorts? In fact I really want to get rid of MacPorts because it has always given me too many problems.

That's why I recommend to use HomeBrew, which doesn't insist on installing its own (and often multiple) copies of all the software already provided by Apple.

See "INSTALLATION GUIDE FOR MAC OS X" in the INSTALL file, which explains in detail how to build CWB with HomeBrew.

I suppose that in the mid to long run it would be nice to provide a HomeBrew formula for CWB, but I don't think I'll have any time to spare on this project in the near future.

Cheers,