[CWB] Announcement: Another CWB/CQPweb setup in China

Josep M. Fontana josepm.fontana at upf.edu
Thu Oct 25 13:04:22 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am a little (or quite) confused about the syntax of CQPweb queries
(simple query language). I went to the wonderful resource Ray Wu has
made available so that I could see how it works since we are in the
process of installing CQPweb as an interface for our corpora. I wasn't
able to complete any search using the simple query language, though. I'm
sure it is something very simple that I am missing.  From what I
understand reading the document 'simple query language syntax', I should
be able to do the following in the simple query mode:

_JJ _NN1

which would supposedly look for sequences of an adjective followed by
noun according to the CLAWS tag set.

OK, I'm conducting the searches in the Old Icelandic Corpus which has
been supposedly tagged using the CLAWS7 tagset (according to the
information in "View corpus metadata". When I do this, however, I get a
message saying "Your query had no results. There are no matches for your
query." This is very puzzling because you would imagine that there would
be occurrences of adjectives followed by nouns. Doing it the opposite
order (_NN1 _JJ) gives me the same results. What is even more puzzling
is that I also get nothing using single POS labels such as _NN1 by
itself or _JJ.

Am I doing something wrong or is this due to the fact that this
particular corpus uses a completely different tagset? When you access a
CQPWeb corpus, is there any way to retrieve the tags that have been used
in the corpus? The only relevant info I find in this corpus is the link
to the CLAWS7 tagset but, as I said, this doesn't seem to be the right
information. Going into the CQP syntax mode and doing "show +pos"
doesn't work.

JM