[CWB] ARM a viable platform for CWB?

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Wed Jul 24 23:26:58 CEST 2013

I've been commissioning some ARM-based plug computers today and noticed that as part of the Debian Linux installation setup there is a copy of MySQL. It crossed my mind that perhaps the spare device I have might make a good ad hoc CWB server to test out various options. Before I give in to my flight of fancy anyone have a technical opinion on whether hosting CWB on ARM would be viable?

Specifically I have a spare DreamPlug that was originally intended for some other, now abandoned project, that I can use. This has a Kirkwood 88F6281 processor, which is basically an ARMv5, and 512MB of RAM. Disk space can be either local via an eSATA connector or remote using a couple of 10/100/1000Mbps ethernet channels. The more recent Raspberry Pi devices has similar ARM processors, the slightly more advanced ARMv6 instruction set. That processing on a DreamPlug (or even Raspberry Pi) might be sluggardly isn't an issue–I can leave the device running for days if necessary–what I'm interested in finding out first of all is whether it's sensible to even think about the enterprise. Or am I just being affected by the  uncharacteristic heatwave that the UK is experiencing at the moment.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!