[CWB] Problem with cqp

Stefan Evert stefanML at collocations.de
Fri May 2 14:56:30 CEST 2014

Brief info for others who may have been following this bug report: Diana and I took a closer look at the problem off-list.

The solution was to Install the latest 3.0-branch of CWB from SVN, instead of the 3.0.0 binaries available from the Web site (which Diana had been using).   My best guess is that she was hitting the unpredictable consequences of a buffer overflow in the kwic output code triggered by very long sentences.  On most platforms, CQP would simply crash in this case, but here it must have corrupted random other data.  The problem had already been fixed some time ago, but after 3.0.0 was released.

Andrew and I are planning to launch an official release of the 3.0 branch with up-to-date binary downloads in July.