[CWB] What's possible via the CQPweb interface

Josep M. Fontana josepm.fontana at upf.edu
Sat Apr 25 21:43:15 CEST 2015

Hi,

If the answer to this question is to be found in some specific section
of some manual or documentation, please point me to it but I haven't
been able to find it consulting the documentation that is available to me.

The question is simple. What are the exact limitations of the CQPWeb
interface to use the full cqp syntax? In general I always recommend the
CQPWeb interface to most of my undergraduate and to the new grad
students because I find many are intimidated by the terminal (I work in
the context of the humanities and except for very old people who still
remember DOS, few people have experience using the command line in a
terminal window).

This generally works well but every once in a while when I'm trying to
show them something I need to use the full CQP syntax because this is
what I am most familiar with and I can remember better. Most regular
searches are OK but the other day, for instance, I tried to get the
frequencies of the particular lemmas appearing in the last position of a
particular search involving only reference to POS and I got an error
message. Unless I did something wrong (although I checked and it worked
with the terminal), this doesn't seem to be possible in the web interface.

I tried to use the 'frequency' option in the CQPWeb interface but I
realized I didn't know how to use it properly. I know there are some
wonderful videos but at that time I needed some written documentation to
find information about what I needed to do and I wasn't able to find it.
Is there any good user guide or reference manual in written form?

I totally understand that the goal of CQPWeb is not to replicate the
functionality of the command line and that by definition there are going
to be some restrictions in what you can do. But is there any
documentation where all of this is made explicit? I have access to the
paper Andrew wrote and to some some tutorials people have created but is
there any other more complete manual out there with more detailed
information about what is possible and what isn't?

Thanks a lot in advance and my apologies if I have ignored something
that should be really obvious.

JM