[CWB] Does CQPweb support dynamic attributes now?

Hardie, Andrew a.hardie at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Oct 6 00:35:25 CEST 2015

This is a CQP issue rather than a  CQPweb issue, I think. Anyway…

When you say, “doesn’t seem to work” , “not really executed”, what do you mean? That the results were not as desired? Can you give an example of a case where there was a difference between what you expected and what you got?

To explain the background:

True dynamic attributes, i.e. user-created functions that evaluate by passing their arguments to an external program, no longer exist.

However, CQP’s builtin functions (which is the current terminology for what Christ 1994 calls “predefined dynamic attributes”) are implemented using the parameter-passing system for dynamic attributes (but they are not real dynamic attributes because they do not use an external program).   So a lot of the code for dynamic attributes survives to support these functions, even though you can’t have REAL dynamic attributes.

These builtin functions are defined in cqp/builtins.c lines 50 to 70, and implemented on lines 229 to 518 . f() is one of them.

Finally: Christ (1994) is of historical interest only.  All the builtin functions except f() are documented in the current CQP tutorial, however, which means they are still part of the query language (not sure why f() doesn’t get mentioned, Stefan may be able to shed light)