[CWB] ERROR: CQP backend startup failed; the reported CQP version [] could not be parsed

Hardie, Andrew a.hardie at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Sep 10 17:15:52 CEST 2018

The single-step installation script is instead of the usual process. You don’t need to edit the config file if you’re using it, as it will “guess” config values for you.

As Stefan said, “Please read the INSTALL instructions carefully and follow them, or use one of the auto-install scripts (also described in INSTALL).  ”  (emph mine)

That is, you should EITHER edit the config.mk file and then follow the list of “make …” commands in the instructions

OR use the install script which does everything in one step.

Re the readline.h error: I suspect this may be because Debian has recently updated the package naming for readline. Instead of “libreadline6-dev” what is needed is now just “libreadline-dev”.  I’ve updated the install script in SVN just now to account for this. Hope this helps.