[CWB] EncodeBNC can't locate CWB

Hardie, Andrew a.hardie at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Apr 3 16:37:45 CEST 2019

Hi Aleks,

cqp -v will tell you where the binaries are for the CWB core.

Perl modules are different matter, the easiest way to find out is to run

locate CWB.pm

and compare the address of the folder where it lives to the list of folders I’ve highlighted in yellow below : the @INC list is the list of where Perl looks for .pm files.

One common reason for this to happen is Perl versioning. The CWB modules are often installed into a folder whose path contains a version number, e.g. /usr/local/share/perl/5.20.2/ – if a new version of perl is then installed, it will no longer look in that folder, but instead at, for instance,  /usr/local/share/perl/5.26.1/ (one of the folders on your @INC)

If this has actually happened, there are two solutions. (1) rebuild and reinstall CWB-Perl. (2)  OR, just manually move everything in the old-version folder to the equivalent new-version folder. I do the latter. That’s probably bad practice, but I don’t use Perl for anything else, so it doesn’t really matter.

If it’s not a version issue, then it’s an installation issue – CWB-Perl has been installed to some folder somewhere, but not one of the places that perl looks for modules. The solution then is either (a) to reinstall while making sure that you’ve configured it to go into one of the places Perl looks (See the README/INSTALL file for how)  or (b) to change Perl’s @INC to add in the folder you want it to look in by using -I /path/to/folder on the command line<https://perldoc.perl.org/perlrun.html>.