[Sigwac] SIGWAC elections

Roland Schäfer roland.schaefer at fu-berlin.de
Sat Nov 24 13:58:57 CET 2018

Dear SIGWAC community,

Egon and I apologise for a slight delay, but we hereby announce that our
first term as President and Secretary of SIGWAC is over.

We have decided to run again for a second term (Egon as Secretary, me as
President). Furthermore, we analysed the discussion about the future of
SIGWAC (see the archives of this list) and – if re-elected – would like
to revitalise SIGWAC by continuing the tradition of WAC workshops
without major changes in direction. However, we intend to ensure a
substantial number of submissions through strategic co-location and
joint workshops with other initiatives and interest groups (most likely
not ACL SIGs, though). We think it might be best to forgo a strict
annual or bi-annual rhythm. Instead, it might be best to organise WAC
workshops whenever the opportunity is right. In addition, we intend to
allow for additional workshops with alternative focuses (such as events
with a strong emphasis on theoretical linguistics) to be announced as
"endorsed by SIGWAC" if there are SIGWAC members involved in the event's
organising committee and the event is clearly related to the
construction and/or use of web corpora.

The upcoming term will end on 31 July 2020.

Continuing the informal election process of previous years, we invite
you to run as a candidate and/or vote in the following manner:

1. Please inform the community (by posting to this list) until 30
November 2018 if you wish to run as an alternative candidate for either
of the two offices. We recommend running as a team of candidates for the
offices of President and Secretary, but that is in no way a requirement.

2. In case no alternative candidates surface until 30 November 2018,
please only cast a vote (by sending an email to this list by 7 December
2018) if it's 'nay', i.e., if you think Egon and I should not get a
second term. Silence will be understood as an 'aye' vote. Should there
be alternative candidates, we will organise a more formal election process.

Best regards,
Roland Schäfer (acting President of SIGWAC)
Egon Stemle (acting Secretary of SIGWAC)