[CWB] Translation

Hardie, Andrew a.hardie at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jan 30 04:42:51 CET 2018

That’s very  impressive … I would have thought much more complex changes would be needed.

The only problem is that the search-replace operations will break if we ever change any of the wording in the UI. Which I do, frequently (not being good at getting these things perfect first time)

This has been the root cause of my reluctance to make the CQPweb UI multilingual. It’s not the difficulty of creating the initial translation(s) – it’s the difficulty of keeping all of the translations up to date as the system evolves…

PS. You’ve got most of the text used in the bibg HTML chunks, but this may miss some things: e.g. text generated by client side JavaScript e.g. in jsc/cword.js or jsc/categorise.js *, or the query-heading strings generated by QueryRecord::print_solution_heading(). I guess the former probably don’t make much difference to your users -  but the latter is another powerful reason for not going multilingual as it would create word-order problems for assembling the sentence-bits. Not only raw strings, but also concatenation action ordering, would need to be customised.

* See