[CWB] Suggestion: user intervention in constructing an index

Ciarán Ó Duibhín coduibhin at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 29 15:30:46 CEST 2018

Andrew said

  the underlying engine is appropriately neutral about the semantics of any attribute name… so specifying a specific s-attribute as meaning “glue” would not be something ever to build in at the system level of CQP. Front ends can of course impose whatever requirements about attribute semantics that they like.

Thank you again, Andrew, but I remain of the view that a vertical file should provide some means of marking where a space does not belong between tokens in contexts.  It could be a "+", as I used in an earlier post; an XML-like glue tag (s-attribute), as used in Manatee/Bonito; an extra binary p-attribute (or better, two such attributes).  Whatever it is, the concordance output should recognize it.  I don't see this as semantic interpretation, but just preserving the integrity of the original text.  An XML-like tag is arguably the worst choice, but I am inclined to go with whatever already works.

Regards,
Ciarán